Make New Friends, But Keep the Old

We have moved.

A lot.

Some places are easier than others to find good friends.

The older I get, the more I value true friendship.

I had a group of friends in high school,

that were a blessing.

They were fun.

They were witty.

I laughed EVERY day - several times - hard.

Each had a talent to offer.

They were good.

They made it easy to be good.

As a matter of fact, it would have been hard to be bad.

They were inspiring.

They continue to inspire me.

It's been 17 years since we graduated, we have scattered all across the world.  Arizona.  Florida.  China.  Idaho.  

But last summer, on a rare, but valued occasion, we were able to get together.

It started with lunch - it was way to short for all we had to share with each other.

Then we went to Les Miserable to watch Chelsea's son perform.  So fun.  So emotional!

We met the next morning to run a 5k.

Our small town parade followed.  The parade was a time warp.  Same parade, different year.

Not much had changed, except us.  Older.  Wiser.

We all stood there together.  Chatting.  Laughing and enjoying the unique bonds that form from childhood friendships.

We watched our kids stand in the same vicinity as each other.  They didn't interact much.  They are strangers to each other.  Sad.  But when we look at them, we see a part of the person we love in them.  We see the fruits of all of their dedication and love.  It is a good thing.

There are more pics, but this is the only one I can find right now at the 5k.
Brett (Fawn's son), Chelsea, Fawn, Holly and Jeff, Glenn, Me, Jen and Isaac.

...One is silver and the other gold.

Comments

azandersens said…
LOVE that post! We'll go to the cabin someday for sure so our kids won't be strangers. Btw, who's in FL?
Kelly said…
Yes, the cabin would be such a great experience! Even just one night with Fawn and her family has my kids recognizing them. Stafford came up and saw the picture and said while pointing to Fawn, "Mom, there's your friend!" I want them to know all of you! As for Florida, that's where Johny Cat is based out of. I guess I could have said he's sailing the seven seas, but alas, I didn't.

Popular Posts